Montepulciano 2010

Montepulciano 2010

$45.00

GOLD MEDAL – NZ INTERNATIONAL WINE SHOW 2012

Out of stock

SKU: BHMP10 Categories: , , ,

Tasting Notes

Montepulciano is an Italian grape variety grown in the Abruzzi region of Central Italy. Our small block of Montepulciano grape vines have adapted remarkably well to our Gimblett Gravels site and the resulting wines have produced myriad Gold medals and Trophy’s to prove it.

Out 2010 ‘Monty’ was handpicked on May 4th at a staggering 24.5 brix and was de-stemmed into small open topped fermenters. The ‘Monty’ gets the full treatment with gentle hand plunging and pump overs to aid in the extraction of all the colour and flavours in the berries. On May 26th the wines were pressed and put into fine French oak of which 25% were new and the other 75% were one year old.

This is a big wine. Ridiculous dense colour gives some insight as to what to expect on the palate. There are aromas of dark berries, spicy cherry and tar. On the palate the wine is big and voluptuous with massive fruit intensity and solid structure. A wine for a special occasion which can be enjoyed now or carefully cellared for decades to come where it will become softer and more complex with time.

Tasting Notes